Oh, how I love love love the Holidays! Yesterday I decided the loving.link household needed to get just a little more festive for the Holiday season. I (again) wasn’t thinking about this blog when I was doing my project, so photos are lacking. But I have TONS of after photos.
I decided to sew 4 new pillow covers for the couch cushions.
What you’ll need:
- a pillow form (mine are from IKEA and world market)
- Heat ‘n Bond (local fabric store)
- a solid fabric (I got 1 1/2 yards)
- a patterned fabric (I got 1 1/2 yards)
- 18-22 inch coordinating zipper
- matching thread
- printer paper and tracing paper
- iron and ironing board
- sewing machine
Directions For the Shape:
- Select the type of shape you want for your pillow ( I used this Deer and this Polar Bear)
- Following the Heat ‘N Bond directions iron on the HnB to the patterned fabric (I just did two 8.5 x 11 inch sections)
- Using the tracing paper, trace the printed object onto the paper side of the Heat ‘N Bond Fabric.
- Cut out your shape(s) and set them aside
- Using the sizing listed in the video below, cut out two pieces of fabric for your pillow. I had a 19 inch pillow so I cut mine 17 x 17. The video below gives a good break-down.
- Then take your shape and peel off the other side of the HnB and place it on the fabric square that will be used for your pillow.
- Iron until it sticks. ( I used flannel which didn’t work the best, so I had to iron it a little longer)
- Then this step is optional depending on how well the bond paper worked for you. I always stitch around the edge of the shape just so that its VERY sturdy and can be washed in the machine, plus it looks more professional.
- Proceed to making your covers.
Directions for the Zippered pillow:
- I used this youtube video. I’ve been using this same video for the past three years. Its easy to understand-even though it’s not the most “hip” video.
- I used white for both front and back with the animals on it, and a white back and flannel front for the ones without the animals.
I like it when I don’t have to type out a million steps 🙂
ENJOY! If you have questions please feel free to ask away!
Thats my kitty Sammy 🙂 He loves the new covers.